Financial Development and Economic Growth in Egypt: A Re-investigation
In light of the political and economic conditions that Egypt has challenged during the last two years and its influences, it is crucial to re-investigate the link between financial sector and economic growth using recent data sample. This paper re-explores it using annual data for the period from 1988 to 2012. The results imply that the banking sector development has a unidirectional causal impact on economic growth. However, stock market development does not cause growth. The interpretation of such outcomes has to be taken with caution since other relevant factors are more likely to affect this link.
|Date of creation:||23 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben Naceur, Samy & Ghazouani, Samir & Omran, Mohammed, 2008. "Does stock market liberalization spur financial and economic development in the MENA region?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 673-693, December.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock markets, banks, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1690, The World Bank.
- Anton Dobronogov & Farrukh Iqbal, 2004.
"Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants,"
0420, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2004.
- Anton Dobronogov & Farrukh Iqbal, 2007. "Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants," Journal of African Development, African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 31-66.
- Anton Dobronogov & Farrukh Iqbal, 2005. "Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants," Development and Comp Systems 0512024, EconWPA.
- Naceur, Samy Ben & Ghazouani, Samir, 2007. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth: Empirical evidence from the MENA region," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Bolbol, Ali A. & Fatheldin, Ayten & Omran, Mohammed M., 2005. "Financial development, structure, and economic growth: the case of Egypt, 1974-2002," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 171-194, March.
- Anthony Enisan Akinlo & Tajudeen Egbetunde, 2010. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Experience of 10 Sub-Saharan African Countries Revisited," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 2(1), pages 017-028, June.
- Shen, Chung-Hua & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2006. "Same Financial Development Yet Different Economic Growth: Why?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(7), pages 1907-1944, October.
- Andreas Billmeier & Isabella Massa, 2007. "What Drives Stock Market Development in the Middle East and Central Asia; Institutions, Remittances, or Natural Resources?," IMF Working Papers 07/157, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.