On the pricing and hedging of options for highly volatile periods
Option pricing is an integral part of modern financial risk management. The well-known Black and Scholes (1973) formula is commonly used for this purpose. This paper is an attempt to extend their work to a situation in which the unconditional volatility of the original asset is increasing during a certain period of time. We consider a market suffering from a financial crisis. We provide the solution for the equation of the underlying asset price as well as finding the hedging strategy. In addition, a closed formula of the pricing problem is proved for a particular case. The suggested formulas are expected to make the valuation of options and the underlying hedging strategies during financial crisis more precise.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gu, Hui & Liang, Jin-Rong & Zhang, Yun-Xiu, 2012. "Time-changed geometric fractional Brownian motion and option pricing with transaction costs," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(15), pages 3971-3977.
- Dibeh, Ghassan & Harmanani, Haidar M., 2007. "Option pricing during post-crash relaxation times," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 380(C), pages 357-365.
- Savit, R., 1989. "Nonlinearities And Chaotic Effects In Options Prices," Papers 184, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Fabrizio Lillo & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2001. "Power law relaxation in a complex system: Omori law after a financial market crash," Papers cond-mat/0111257, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.