Linkage between Microfinance participation and securing Employment through MGNREGP
In this paper the relationship is assessed between participation in microfinance program under SGSY scheme through forming Self-Help Group and getting employment through Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Program (MGNREGP). Using Tobit Model with endogenous covariate method it is established that participation in microfinance program operating through joint liability credit contract help the rural households mainly the women to generate more social capital than the non-participant households which ultimately help them to get more information about different developmental program like MGNREGP initiated by the government. Hence, it came out from our investigation that microfinance participant member households get more number of man-days of employment through MGNREGP than the non-member households. It is also established from our investigation that households with higher average monthly income and less dependency ratio are less prone to demand job under MGNREGP.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:||16 Oct 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Indian Journal of Economics and Research January -February 2013.2(2013): pp. 22-29|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kundu, AMIT, 2011. "Enhancement of social capital through participation in micro-finance: an empirical investigation," MPRA Paper 39221, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jan 2012.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1994.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 539-591, May.
- Robert M. Townsend, "undated". "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Townsend, R.M., 1991. "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Amit Kundu, 2011. "Can Microcredit And Job Under Nregs Jointly Bring More Happiness To The Villagers?," The IUP Journal of Governance and Public Policy, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-23, March.
- Kundu, AMIT, 2010. "Can Microcredit and Job Under NREGS Jointly Bring More Happiness to the Villagers?," MPRA Paper 29589, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Dec 2010.
- Kundu, Amit, 2010. "Joint versus Individual Liability in Microfinance – A Comparative Impact Evaluation Through Natural Experiment," MPRA Paper 32695, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Apr 2011. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.