Securities transaction tax and the stock market– an Indian experience
This paper studies the effect of Securities Transaction Tax (STT) on the behavior of the returns on the Indian stock market using a switching first order autocorrelation model. It is found that an increase in STT doesn’t influence the return on American Depository Receipts (ADRs) which are dually listed in United States of America and India. The increase in STT doesn’t have a major impact on the returns of the stocks listed on the National Stock Exchange in India whereas it influences the volume of traded shares. Volatility of stocks listed on the National Stock Exchange in India is affected by the change in tax level and thus investors switch from large and medium sized stocks to small sized stocks to mitigate the risk.
|Date of creation:||20 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Summers, L.H. & Summers, V.P., 1989. "When Financial Markets Work Too Well : A Cautious Case For A Securities Transactions Tax," Papers t12, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
506, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "A Securities Transactions Tax And Capital Market Efficiency," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(1), pages 101-112, 01.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1989. "Using Tax Policy To Curb Speculative Short-Term Trading," Papers t2, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Roll, R., 1989. "Price Volatility, International Market Links, And Their Implications For Regulatory Policies," Papers t10, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Shinhua Liu, 2007. "Securities Transaction Tax and Market Efficiency: Evidence from the Japanese Experience," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 161-176, December.
- Umlauf, Steven R., 1993. "Transaction taxes and the behavior of the Swedish stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Sinha, Pankaj & Mathur, Kritika, 2012. "Evolution of security transaction tax in India," MPRA Paper 40165, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42743. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.