Restructuring of Financial Sector in Pakistan
Like many other developing countries Pakistan also undertook the process of financial restructuring through reforms in early 1990s to establish a more market-based system of financial intermediation and government financing, conduct the monetary policy more efficiently through greater reliance on indirect instruments and increase the contribution to the rapid development of the stock markets. These reforms were primarily designed to correct the dissertations implicit in the administrated structure of rates of returns on various financial instruments, to abolish the directed and subsidized schemes, to allow free entry of private banks in the financial sector in order to enhance the competition and efficiency in the financial sector and to strengthen the State Bank of Pakistan. This study discus the financial restructuring strategy and the stages it has passed over time and history of financial reforms carried out so far in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of The Institute of Bankers Pakistan 3.70(2003): pp. 49-68|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David S. Hoelscher, 1998. "Banking System Restructuring in Kazakhstan," IMF Working Papers 98/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Claudia Helene Dziobek, 1997. "Lessons From Systemic Bank Restructuring: A Survey of 24 Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/161, International Monetary Fund.
- Delano Villanueva & Abbas Mirakhor, 1990. "Strategies for Financial Reforms: Interest Rate Policies, Stabilization, and Bank Supervision in Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Dalla, I. & Khatkhate, D., 1995. "Regulated Deregulation of the Financial System in Korea," World Bank - Discussion Papers 292, World Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 1996. "The Role of the Prudential Supervision and Financial Restructuring of Banks During Transition to Indirect Instruments of Monetary Control," IMF Working Papers 96/128, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.