Do Credit Associations Put Competitive Pressure on Regional Banks in Japanese Regional Lending Markets?
This paper investigates whether credit associations put competitive pressure on regional banks in Japanese regional lending markets. It was found that credit associations pressure regional banks to set lower lending interest rates in regional markets. In addition, the competitive pressure from credit associations in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is more than 20% is much stronger than in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is less than 20%. In particular, regional banks in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is from 25% to 30% experience the strongest pressure.
|Date of creation:||13 May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2000.
"Banks vs. credit unions; dynamic competition in local markets,"
2000-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2002. "Banks vs. credit unions: dynamic competition in local markets," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2002-10, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Feinberg, Robert M. & Rahman, A. F. M. Ataur, 2001. "A causality test of the relationship between bank and credit union lending rates in local markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 271-275, May.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2003. "The Determinants of Bank Rates in Local Consumer Lending Markets: Comparing Market and Institution-Level Results," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 144-156, July.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2001. "The Competitive Role Of Credit Unions In Small Local Financial Services Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 560-563, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.