Municipal mergers and special provisions of local council members in Japan
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Henrik Jordahl & Che-Yuan Liang, 2010.
"Merged municipalities, higher debt: on free-riding and the common pool problem in politics,"
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 157-172, April.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006. "Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics," Working Paper Series 679, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006. "Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics," Ratio Working Papers 107, The Ratio Institute.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006. "Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics," Working Paper Series 2006:27, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Reza Baqir, 2002. "Districting and Government Overspending," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1318-1354, December.
- Bodkin, Ronald G & Conklin, David W, 1971. "Scale and Other Determinants of Municipal Government Expenditures in Ontario: A Quantitative Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(3), pages 465-481, October.
- Dollery, Brian & Byrnes, Joel & Crase, Lin, 2007. "Is bigger Better? Local Government Amalgamation and the South Australian Rising to the Challenge Inquiry," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Akihiko Kawaura, 2010. "Self-Serving Mayors and Local Government Consolidations in Japan," Working Papers 201014, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Tyrefors Hinnerich, Björn, 2009. "Do merging local governments free ride on their counterparts when facing boundary reform?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(5-6), pages 721-728, June.
- Walzer, Norman, 1972. "Economies of Scale and Municipal Police Services: The Illinois Experience," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(4), pages 431-438, November.
- Peter Egger & Marko Koethenbuerger, 2010.
"Government Spending and Legislative Organization: Quasi-experimental Evidence from Germany,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 200-212, October.
- Peter Egger & Marko Koethenbuerger, 2010. "Government Spending and Legislative Organization: Quasi-experimental evidence from Germany," EPRU Working Paper Series 2010-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2007. "Local Governments in the Wake of Demographic Change: Efficiency and Economies of Scale in German Municipalities," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-036, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bradbury, John Charles & Stephenson, E Frank, 2003. "Local Government Structure and Public Expenditures," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 115(1-2), pages 185-198, April.
- Bradbury, John Charles & Crain, W. Mark, 2001. "Legislative organization and government spending: cross-country evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 309-325, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julie Brux & Claudine Desrieux, 2014. "To allot or not to allot public services? An incomplete contract approach," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 455-476, June.
- Eric Weese & Masayoshi Hayashi & Masashi Nishikawa, 2015.
"Inefficiency and Self-Determination: Simulation-based Evidence from Meiji Japan,"
Discussion Paper Series
DP2015-35, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Eric Weese & Masayoshi Hayashi & Masashi Nishikawa, 2016. "Inefficiency and Self-Determination: Simulation-based evidence from Meiji Japan," Discussion Papers 1627, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Eric Weese & Masayoshi Hayashi & Masashi Nishikawa, 2015. "Inefficiency and Self-Determination: Simulation-Based Evidence From Meiji Japan," Working Papers 1050, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Eric Weese & Masayoshi Hayashi & Masashi Nishikawa, 2015. "Inefficiency and Self-Determination: Simulation-based Evidence from Meiji Japan," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-989, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Anthony S. Rausch, 2014. "Japan's Heisei municipal mergers and the contradictions of neo-liberal administrative planning," Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 135-149, June.
- repec:eee:regeco:v:66:y:2017:i:c:p:132-149 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirota, Haruaki & Yunoue, Hideo, 2017.
"Evaluation of the fiscal effect on municipal mergers: Quasi-experimental evidence from Japanese municipal data,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 132-149.
- Hirota, Haruaki & Yunoue, Hideo, 2016. "Evaluation of the fiscal effect on municipal mergers: Quasi-experimental evidence from Japanese municipal data," MPRA Paper 68890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
Keywordsmunicipal mergers; local council size; intergovernmental relations; free riding;
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-03-28 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2012-03-28 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-03-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.