Cout prive de morbidite due a la pollution de l’air a Cotonou
[Private cost of morbidity due to air pollution in Contonou]
Air pollution is an externality whose health costs are high. In our paper we have evaluated the private cost or cost of suffering due to morbidity associated with this pollution. The contingent valuation method (CVM) has allowed us to estimate the average monthly private cost of illness for a head of household on the basis of willingness to pay (WTP) of household heads for a halving of pollution air in the city of Cotonou. The analysis of WTP using a censored Tobit model with consideration of the endogeneity of the variable "income" has allowed us to derive the average WTP that represents the private cost whose value is estimated at 1.617 FCFA / month per adult.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Natacha Raffin, 2009. "Santé, qualité environnementale et développement économique," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(3), pages 831-841.
- Maddison, David, 2005. "Air pollution and hospital admissions: an ARMAX modelling approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 116-131, January.
- Chanel, O. & Scapecchi, P. & Vergnaud, J.C., 2000.
"Pollution atmospherique et sante: evaluation monetaire et effets de long terme,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
2000.100, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Chanel, O. & Scapecchi, P. & Vergnaud, J.-C., 2000. "Pollution atmospherique et sante : evaluation monetaire et effets de long terme," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.101, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Alberini, Anna & Cropper, Maureen & Fu, Tsu-Tan & Krupnick, Alan & Liu, Jin-Tan & Shaw, Daigee & Harrington, Winston, 1997. "Valuing Health Effects of Air Pollution in Developing Countries: The Case of Taiwan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Muller, Nicholas Z. & Mendelsohn, Robert, 2007. "Measuring the damages of air pollution in the United States," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-14, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.