Time Preference and Interest Rate in a dynamic general Equilibrium Model
This paper reexamines the relationship between the time preference rate and the real interest rate in the neoclassical growth model by introducing Keynesian time preference. It is shown that the long-run behavior of the neoclassical growth model persists. When introduucing money by money-in-utility, money is superneutral and the optimal monetary policy is the Friedman rule.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, Larry G, 1987. "The Global Stability of Efficient Intertemporal Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 329-55, March.
- Epstein, Larry G & Hynes, J Allan, 1983. "The Rate of Time Preference and Dynamic Economic Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 611-35, August.
- Shouyong Shi, 2001.
"Liquidity, Bargaining, and Multiple Equilibria in a Search Monetary Model,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 2(2), pages 325-351, November.
- Shouyong Shi, 2000. "Liquidity, Bargaining, and Multiple Equilibria in a Search Monetary Model," CEMA Working Papers 63, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Oct 2001.
- Gahvari, Firouz, 2007. "The Friedman rule: Old and new," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 581-589, March.
- Jianjun Miao, 2004. "A Note on Consumption and Savings under Knightian Uncertainty," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 299-311, November.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Capital Accumulation on the Transition Path in a Monetary Optimizing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1433-39, November.
- Gaowang Wang & Heng-fu Zou, 2011.
"Inflation Aversion and the Optimal Inflation Tax,"
CEMA Working Papers
480, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1983. "Stationary cardinal utility and optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 133-152, October.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1996. "The Role of Countercyclical Monetary Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 704-23, August.
- Gootzeit, Michael & Schneider, Johannes & Smith, William, 2002. "Marshallian recursive preferences and growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 381-404, November.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2003. "The Optimum Quantity of Debt: Technical Appendix," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 193-217, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.