Commodity investments: opportunities for Indian institutional investors
An attempt has been made to establish the fact that by investing in commodities or it alternative channels, institutional investors like banks can not only compensate for the lower risk-free returns in their major chunk of investments in Government securities, but also will be able to diversify some amount of their portfolio risk which is expected to rise by taking exposure in commodity market. The results exhibited in all the tables and figures clearly depict that investment in alternative channels like commodity indices or commodity futures contracts in India will not only allow the institutional investors to leverage their portfolio return, but also will ensure that diversification benefits is achieved. Therefore, even if investment in direct commodities are restricted for Indian banks, but still there is a significant opportunity for them to invest in the available alternative channels like commodity indices or commodity futures contracts.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott H. Irwin & B. Wade Brorsen, 1985.
"Public futures funds,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 463-485, 09.
- Scott H. Irwin & B. Wade Brorsen, 1985. "Public futures funds," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 149-171, 06.
- Gary Gorton & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2004. "Facts and Fantasies about Commodity Futures," NBER Working Papers 10595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & K. Rouwenhorst, 2004. "Facts and Fantasies about Commodity Futures," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2619, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2005.
- Bruce Bjornson & Colin A. Carter, 1997. "New Evidence on Agricultural Commodity Return Performance under Time-Varying Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 918-930.
- Shaun K. Roache, 2008. "Commodities and the Market Price of Risk," IMF Working Papers 08/221, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.