A Remark on the Asymptotic Distribution of the OLS Estimator for a Purely Autoregressive Spatial Model
We derive the asymptotics of the OLS estimator for a purely autoregressive spatial model. Only low-level conditions are used. As the sample size increases, the spatial matrix is assumed to approach a square-integrable function on the square $(0,1)^2$. The asymptotic distribution is a ratio of two infinite linear combinations of $\chi$-square variables. The formula involves eigenvalues of an integral operator associated with the function approached by the spatial matrices. Under the conditions imposed identification conditions for the maximum likelihood method and methods of moments fail. A remedial iterative procedure using the OLS estimator is proposed. Additional Information: This paper has been delivered at North American Summer Meeting of the Econometric Society in June 2006, see http://gemini.econ.umd.edu/conference/NASM2006/program/NASM2006.html. A revised and extended version (with computer simulations) has been accepted for publication as Mynbaev, K.T. and A. Ullah (2007) Asymptotic distribution of the OLS estimator for a purely autoregressive spatial model. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, doi: 10.1016/j.jmva.2007.04.002.
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1995.
"A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model,"
Electronic Working Papers
95-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1997.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- Lung-fei Lee, 2003. "Best Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Estimators for a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 307-335.
- Mynbaev, Kairat, 2000. "$L_p$-Approximable sequences of vectors and limit distribution of quadratic forms of random variables," MPRA Paper 18447, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2001.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.