Multidimensional Poverty in Pakistan: Case of Punjab Province
This paper applies Alkire & Foster (2007) approach for measuring the multidimensional poverty. The data set used in the study is Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2003-04 of Punjab, Pakistan. Eight dimensions used in the study are Housing, Water, Sanitation, Electricity, Assets, Education, Expenditure, and Land. Results shows that at cut off K=2; Rajanpur, Muzaffargarh, Rahimyar Khan, Kasur, Okara and Lodhran respectively are the most multidimensionally poor districts of Punjab whereas, Gunj Buksh Town Lahore, Ravi Town Lahore, Cantt Town Lahore, Sialkot, Rawalpindi, Allama Iqbal Town Lahore, Gujranwala and Jhelum are the least deprived Towns/Districts of Punjab province. Dimension wise breakdown shows that Land deprivation, expenditure, sanitation, housing and education are respectively the major contributors among overall multidimensional poverty.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies 2.3(2011): pp. 133-144|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Chakravarty, Satya R., 1983. "A new index of poverty," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 307-313, December.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Lugo, Maria, 2006.
"The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments,"
Departmental Working Papers
0603, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Maria Ana Lugo, 2008. "The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments," Emory Economics 0804, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2002. "Multidimensional poverty indices," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-93.
- repec:oup:restud:v:49:y:1982:i:2:p:183-201 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32875. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.