Validity of capital asset pricing model: evidence from Karachi stock exchange
This study investigates the validity of Capital Asset Pricing (CAP) Model in Karachi stock exchange (KSE). The data of 387 companies of 30 different sectors on monthly, quarterly and semiannual basis are used. The Paired sample t- test is applied to find the difference between actual and expected returns. Results show that capital asset pricing model (CAPM) predict more accurately the expected return on a short term investment as compare to long term investment. It is recommended that the investors should more focus on CAPM results for short term as compare to long term investments in KSE.
|Date of creation:||10 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blume, Marshall E & Friend, Irwin, 1973. "A New Look at the Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 19-33, March.
- Patricia Fraser & Foort Hamelink & Martin Hoesli & Bryan Macgregor, 2004. "Time-varying betas and the cross-sectional return-risk relation: evidence from the UK," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 255-276.
- Basu, Sanjoy, 1983. "The relationship between earnings' yield, market value and return for NYSE common stocks : Further evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 129-156, June.
- Nicolaas Groenewold, 1997. "Share Prices and Macroeconomic Factors," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(9&10), pages 1367-1383.
- Reza Raei & Shapour Mohammadi, 2008. "Fractional return and fractional CAPM," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 269-275.
- Sharpe, William F., 1967. "Portfolio Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 76-84, June.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1994.
"The Capm Is Alive And Well,"
- Martin Scheicher, 2000. "Time-varying risk in the German stock market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 70-91.
- Ravi Jagnnathan & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1995. "The CAPM debate," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-17.
- Ho-Chuan Huang, 2000. "Tests of regimes - switching CAPM," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 573-578.
- Juan-Pedro Gomez & Fernando Zapatero, 2003. "Asset pricing implications of benchmarking: a two-factor CAPM," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 343-357.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.