FDI in the Service Sector – Propagator of Growth for India?
The last two decades have witnessed an unprecedented growth of the Indian service sector. This paper aims to analyze the growth dynamics. This study intends to see whether the growth in FDI has any significant impact on the service sector growth and also investigates whether a growth in this sector causes the GDP to grow. The results suggest that there has been a significant positive impact of the FDI on services sector and this service sector growth has in turn a significant effect on the GDP. The study also looks into the sub-sectoral dynamics and indicates towards the fact that the trade, hotels and restaurants, transport, storage and communications sub-sector contributes the most in the growth of Indian service sector. Therefore FDI can be truly be used as a propagator of economic growth, via its favourable effect on the growth in the services sector. Finally, the study addresses the long running sustainability debate regarding the Indian service sector.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013.
"The two waves of service-sector growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-123, January.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Working Papers id:1934, eSocialSciences.
- Barry Bosworth & Susan M. Collins & Arvind Virmani, 2007.
"Sources of Growth in the Indian Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
12901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.