A Simulation Study on FIML Covariance Matrix
In econometric models, estimates of the asymptotic covariance matrix of FIML coefficients are traditionally computed in several different ways: with a generalized least squares type matrix; using the Hessian of the concentrated log-likelihood; using the outer product of the first derivatives of the log-likelihoods; with some suitable joint use of Hessian and outer product. The different alternative estimators are asymptotically equivalent in case of correct model's specification, but may produce large differences in the numerical application to small samples. The behaviour of the different estimators of the covariance matrix in standardizing or normalizing FIML estimated coefficients in the small samples is investigated in this paper. Monte Carlo experiments are performed on several small-medium size models, and some systematic behaviours are evidenced.
|Date of creation:||03 Sep 1984|
|Publication status:||Published in paper presented at the European Meeting of the Econometric Society. Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, September 3-7. (1984): pp. 1-44|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calzolari, Giorgio, 1983. "Asymptotic distribution of power spectra and peak frequencies in the stochastic response of econometric models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 235-247, February.
- Hendry, D F, 1971. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Systems of Simultaneous Regression Equations with Errors Generated by a Vector Autoregressive Process," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(2), pages 257-272, June.
- Anderson, T W & Kunitomo, Naoto & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1982. "Evaluation of the Distribution Function of the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1009-1027, July.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parke, William R, 1982. "An Algorithm for FIML and 3SLS Estimation of Large Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Morimune, Kimio, 1983. "Approximate Distributions of k-Class Estimators When the Degree of Overidentifiability Is Large Compared with the Sample Size," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 821-841, May.
- Hall, A.R., 1984. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 250, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Full Information Instrumental Variables Estimation of Simultaneous Equations Systems," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 641-652 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 681-700, May.
- Brundy, James M & Jorgenson, Dale W, 1971. "Efficient Estimation of Simultaneous Equations by Instrumental Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 207-224, August.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1983. "Hessian and approximated Hessian matrices in maximum likelihood estimation: a Monte Carlo study," MPRA Paper 28847, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James M. Brundy & Dale W. Jorgenson, 1971. "Efficient estimation of simultaneous equations by instrumental variables," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 3, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Klein, Lawrence R, 1969. "Estimation on Interdependent Systems in Macroeconometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(2), pages 171-192, April.
- Hatanaka, Michio, 1978. "On the efficient estimation methods for the macro-economic models nonlinear in variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 323-356, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.