Financial Deregulations, Conflict of Interest and Banking Crisis in Japan: A Decision-theoretic-GARCH Approach to Analyze the Management Behavior
This paper proposes an empirical model framework to analyze the management behavior that is crucial at the outset of financial deregulations and/or crisis. In a learning model setting, the proposed framework shows that management efficiency is a function of conditional hateroschedasticity of profitability (productivity), and it can be estimated by the GARCH model of Bollerslev (1986). Application of the GARCH model in analyzing management behavior enables to consider information theory explicitly, and it has been found effective in explaining causality of the Japanese banking crisis. Moreover, the paper also shows how to explain the sources of variations in the behavior of the bank management.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nancy P. Marion & Robert P. Flood, 1998.
"Perspectiveson the Recent Currency Crisis Literature,"
IMF Working Papers
98/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Flood, Robert & Marion, Nancy, 1999. "Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Robert Flood & Nancy Marion, 1998. "Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," NBER Working Papers 6380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naoyuki Yoshino & Eisuke Sakakibara, 2002. "The Current State of the Japanese Economy and Remedies," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(2), pages 110-126.
- Monzur Hossain & Md. Shahiduzzaman, 2004.
"Development of Non Bank Financial Institutions to Strengthen the Financial System of Bangladesh,"
- Hossain, Monzur & Shahiduzzaman, Md., 2005. "Development of Non Bank Financial Institutions to Strengthen the Financial System of Bangladesh," MPRA Paper 24734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hossain, Monzur, 2004. "Did The Asset Price Bubble Matter For Japanese Banking Crisis In The 1990s?," MPRA Paper 24738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 1999.
"The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?,"
NBER Working Papers
7250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 2000. "The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1999, Volume 14, pages 129-212 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo, 2001. "What Happened to Japanese Banks?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- D. Woo & Akihiro Kanaya, 2000. "The Japanese Banking Crisis of the 1990's; Sources and Lessons," IMF Working Papers 00/7, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24858. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.