Banking Operational Cost in the Balkan Region under a Quadratic Loss Function
This paper presents of theoretical specification of a quadratic loss function based on forward looking rational expectations to model the underlying dynamics of operational performance of the banking industry. As an empirical application we examine the determinants of total operating costs within a dynamic panel analysis in the Balkan region that is the South East Europe (SEE) over the period 1998-2005. Results show that operating performance is positively related to loan quality and the asset size or the bank’s market share, whilst the speed of adjustment to the long run operational cost is substantial in magnitude.
|Date of creation:||18 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwan, Simon H., 2003.
"Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: An international and time series comparison,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 471-489, March.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating Performance of Banks among Asian Economies: An Internaitonal and Time Series Comparison," Working Papers 132002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: an international and time series comparison," Working Paper Series 2002-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Altunbas, Yener & Liu, Ming-Hau & Molyneux, Philip & Seth, Rama, 2000. "Efficiency and risk in Japanese banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1605-1628, October.
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:277-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huang, Tai-Hsin & Shen, Chung-Hua, 2002. "Seasonal cointegration and cross-equation restrictions on a forward-looking buffer stock model of money demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 11-46, November.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24630. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.