An empirical investigation of operating performance in the new European banking landscape
This paper examines the relationship between operating performance and various bank, market and macro characteristics in the new, enlarged, European banking landscape over the period 1998-2005. We investigate whether there are differences between old and new European Union member states, across countries and across banks of various size-classes and ownership structure. Indeed, the results reveal that there are significant differences. The decomposition of total operating expenses further confirms this conclusion.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Kwan, Simon H., 2003.
"Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: An international and time series comparison,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 471-489, March.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating Performance of Banks among Asian Economies: An Internaitonal and Time Series Comparison," Working Papers 132002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: an international and time series comparison," Working Paper Series 2002-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hunter, William C. & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "The efficiency of financial institutions: A review and preview of research past, present and future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 221-249, April.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & Gary D. Ferrier & Simon H. Kwan, 1999. "The informativeness of stochastic frontier and programming frontier efficiency scores: Cost efficiency and other measures of bank holding company performance," Working Paper 99-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Altunbas, Yener & Liu, Ming-Hau & Molyneux, Philip & Seth, Rama, 2000. "Efficiency and risk in Japanese banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1605-1628, October.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- DeYoung, Robert & Hasan, Iftekhar, 1998. "The performance of de novo commercial banks: A profit efficiency approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 565-587, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:19:y:2008:i:1:p:32-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.