Indirect estimation of Markov switching models with endogenous switching
Markov Switching models have been successfully applied to many economic problems. The most popular version of these models implies that the change in the state is driven by a Markov Chain and that the state is an exogenous discrete unobserved variable. This hypothesis seems to be too restrictive. Earlier literature has often been concerned with endogenous switching, hypothesizing a correlation structure between the observed variable and the unobserved state variable. However, in this case the classical likelihood-based methods provide biased estimators. In this paper we propose a simple “estimation by simulation” procedure, based on indirect inference. Its great advantage is in the treatment of the endogenous switching, which is about the same as for the exogenous switching case, without involving any additional difficulty. A set of Monte Carlo experiments is presented to show the interesting performances of the procedure.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in S.Co. 2005: Modelli Complessi e Metodi Computazionali Intensivi per la Stima e la Previsione A cura di C. Provasi. Padova: CLEUP Editrice (2005): pp. 227-232|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D., 1990. "Analysis of time series subject to changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 39-70.
- Kim, Chang-Jin & Piger, Jeremy & Startz, Richard, 2008.
"Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 263-273, April.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Jeremy M. Piger & Richard Startz, 2004. "Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching," Working Papers 2003-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Edoardo Otranto, 2005. "The multi-chain Markov switching model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 523-537.
- Ronald Gallant, A. & Tauchen, George, 1999. "The relative efficiency of method of moments estimators1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 149-172, September.
- Di Iorio, Francesca & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2006. "Discontinuities in indirect estimation: An application to EAR models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2124-2136, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.