A method to evaluate composite performance indices based on variance-covariance matrix
In this paper we compute performance indices like those from Mereuta et all. (2007) using the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors of the variance-covariance matrix of these indices. The eigenvalues are used in this paper to give natural weights to the performance indices in order to compute the weighted competitiveness indicators, and their corresponding eigenvectors are used to obtain the desired uncorrelated performance indices. In order to point out the mutual influence in the case of each pair of the considered correlated performance indices we compute also their correlation matrix. After we order the composite performance indices (non-weighted or weighted) we classify them using either the maximum entropy principle, either the maximum separation (Chow breakpoint test). A comparison between the classifications using the weighted/non-weighted classifications using the maximum entropy principle and the maximum separation are also done in the paper. As application we consider the GDP per capita, the investment share in GDP, the unemployment rate, the Gini Index of income inequality and the share of consumption of renewal energy resources (five performance indices) for the 27 countries of European Union. These performance indices are according to Indicators of Sustainable Development (www.un.org/esa/sustdev/publications/indisd-mg2001.pdf) approved by the Commission on Sustainable Development at its Third Session in 1995.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albu, Lucian Liviu, 2008. "A Model to Estimate the Composite Index of Economic Activity in Romania – IEF-RO," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(2), pages 44-50, June.
- Mereuta, Cezar & Albu, Lucian Liviu & Iordan, Marioara & Chilian, Mihaela Nona, 2007. "A Model to Evaluate the Regional Competitiveness of the EU Regions," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(3), pages 81-102, September.
- Ciuiu, Daniel, 2008. "Pattern Classification Using Secondary Components Perceptron and Economic Applications," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(2), pages 51-66, June.
- repec:rej:journl:v:10:y:2007:i:25:p:81-101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ciuiu, Daniel, 2008. "Pattern classification using principal components regression," MPRA Paper 15360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19979. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.