The Failure of Price Competition In The Turkish Credit Card Market
The failure of competition and the consequent high and sticky interest rates in credit card markets have been the subject of a considerable amount of debate and research lately. This paper presents the first regression testing for the existence of price competition in a credit card market to be estimated free of dynamic panel bias using recent quarterly data from Turkey. The estimation reveals that even though the effect of the cost of funds on credit card rates is statistically significant, it is very weak. The paper thus provides empirical evidence for the failure of price competition in the Turkish credit card market.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Gulsun Akin & Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Gazi Ishak Kara & Levent Yildiran, 2010.
"Non-Price Competition in Credit Card Markets Through Bundling and Bank Level Benefits,"
562, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2010.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Kara, Gazi Ishak & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Non-price competition in credit card markets through bundling and bank level benefits," MPRA Paper 17768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Müslim, Nusret Ahmet, 2006.
"The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence,"
5483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Nusret Ahmet Muslim, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2006/10, Turkish Economic Association.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & A. Muslim, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2006/09, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Sherrill Shaffer & Lorein Thomas, 2007. "A reassessment of market power among credit card banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 755-767.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17770. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.