Generalized Marginal Risk
An important aspect of portfolio risk management is the analysis of the overall risk with respect to the allocations to the underlying assets. Marginal risk is the traditional tool used by portfolio managers to accomplish this. However, this metric is only meaningful when a position is levered or when the proceeds of the sale of a position are put in the cash account of the portfolio. This paper proposes an extension of the traditional marginal risk approach as a means of overcoming this deficiency. The new concept, named generalized marginal risk, addresses situations where the change in a position results in changes to other positions as well. For instance, this is the case when there are in- or outows of capital in the portfolio as well as reallocations within the portfolio. A detailed illustration of the new metric is provided for a synthetic portfolio within the elliptical framework and its financial relevance is demonstrated using a portfolio of equities.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:inseep:2000-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gourieroux, C. & Laurent, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2000.
"Sensitivity analysis of Values at Risk,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 225-245, November.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.