Central banks and asset prices: the role of the interest rate in volatility correction in the Romanian case
The speculative bubbles of asset prices, and especially their burst out, have a negative impact on the financial stability and also on the prices stability – the main objectives of central banks. As a consequence, a more attentive observation of the evolution of these prices is necessary. In the economic literature, opinions differ, oscillating between a total ignorance of the evolution of asset prices by the central banks and the extreme solution, consisting in considering them as the final purpose of the monetary policy. If the opportunity of the intervention is intensely analyzed, the debates related to the instruments of the intervention, differentiated depending on the nature of the assets, are almost inexistent. In this study, we intend to analyze these aspects and also to highlight the importance of dealing with the volatility of asset prices in the context of the development of the financial and real estate markets in Romania. We show that the interest rate instrument has a reduced importance in asset prices volatility correction.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:||20 Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DETKEN Carsten & SMETS Frank, "undated".
"Asset Price Booms and Monetary Policy,"
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
- Garry J. Schinasi, 2003. "Responsibility of Central Banks for Stability in Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 03/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Goodhart, Charles & Boris Hofmann, 2002. "Asset Prices and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 88, Royal Economic Society.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 2006.
"Measuring the Macroeconomic Risks Posed by Asset Price Booms,"
NBER Working Papers
12542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 2008. "Measuring the Macroeconomic Risks Posed by Asset Price Booms," NBER Chapters, in: Asset Prices and Monetary Policy, pages 9-43 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16582. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.