Foreign Debt and Domestic Savings In Developing Countries
This paper approaches the question of potential causality between foreign debt and domestic savings in the context of developing countries. Literature provides evidence in as far as foreign debt and development is concerned, but little attention was given so far to internal potential for capital formation. We provide a theoretical framework and test its relevance using 1975-2004 data for two groups of countries: sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America with the Caribbean. With the use of instrumental variables we find negative impact of foreign debt on domestic savings especially in the long run. The results are not susceptible to the choice of countries or outliers. However, the relationship between foreign debt and savings seems to depend on debt accumulation gaining significance only after passing a country specific threshold.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in Latin American Business Review 9.3/4(2008): pp. 189-226|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Pattillo & Hélène Poirson & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2011.
"External Debt and Growth,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pinto, Brian & Radziwill, Artur, 2007.
"Sources for financing domestic capital - Is foreign saving a viable option for developing countries?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 682-702, September.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pinto, Brian & Radziwill, Artur, 2004. "Sources for Financing Domestic Capital - is Foreign Saving a Viable Option for Developing Countries?," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7g18546z, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Brian Pinto & Artur Radziwill, 2004. "Sources for Financing Domestic Capital -- Is Foreign Saving a Viable Option for Developing Countries?," NBER Working Papers 10624, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Brian Pinto & Artur Radziwill, 2004. "Sources for financing domestic capital - is foreign saving a viable option for developing countries?," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0288, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pinto, Brian & Radziwill, Artur, 2004. "Sources for Financing Domestic Capital - is Foreign Saving a Viable Option for Developing Countries?," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt7g18546z, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 423-438, December.
- Léonce Ndikumana & James K. Boyce, 2002.
"Public Debts and Private Assets: Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2002-02, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Ndikumana, Leonce & Boyce, James K., 2003. "Public Debts and Private Assets: Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 107-130, January.
- Léonce Ndikumana, 2002. "Public Debts and Private Assets:Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries," Working Papers wp32, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Menbere Workie Tiruneh, 2004. "An Empirical Investigation Into the Determinants of External Indebtedness," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2004(3), pages 261-277.
- Gary Dymski, 2011. "The International Debt Crisis," Chapters, in: The Handbook of Globalisation, Second Edition, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sawada, Yasuyuki, 1994. "Are the heavily indebted countries solvent?: Tests of intertemporal borrowing constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 325-337, December.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1987. "The external debt repayments problems of LDC's : An econometric model based on panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 205-230.
- Osei, B., 1995. "Ghana: The Burden of Debt service Payment Under Structural Adjustment," Papers 33, African Economic Research Consortium.
- Erdal Karagol, 2002. "The Causality Analysis of External Debt Service and GNP : The Case of Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(1), pages 39-64.
- Mbire, B. & Atingi, M., 1997. "Growth and Foreign Debt: The Ugandan Experience," Papers 66, African Economic Research Consortium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.