A Brief Genesis of the North Atlantic Air Transport
The aim of our paper is to analyze civil aviation relations between the United States of America and the European Union - constituting the most important intercontinental air transportation market in the world. Air transport between the EU and USA was traditionally regulated by bilateral Air Service Agreements of rather protectionist nature. The change came after Jimmy Carter had become the president of the USA and started pushing towards liberalization. After 1992, USA and some European states signed bilateral Open Skies treaties, representing an even higher level of liberalization than during Carter’s era. However, the European Court of Justice declared these treaties unlawful in 2002. This decision led to a general EU-US Open Skies Agreement signed in 2007. There have been ongoing negotiations on further liberalization; however their success is highly doubtful.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Micco, Alejandro & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2006.
"Competition regimes and air transport costs: The effects of open skies agreements,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-51, September.
- Alejandro Micco & Tomás Serebrisky, 2008. "Competition Regimes and Air Transport Costs: The Effects of Open Skies Agreement," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 46738, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Button, Kenneth & Taylor, Samantha, 2000. "International air transportation and economic development," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 209-222.
- Button, Kenneth J. & Taylor, Samantha Y, 2000. "International Air Transportation And Economic Development," ERSA conference papers ersa00p483, European Regional Science Association.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2002. "Issues on liberalization of air cargo services in international aviation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 275-287. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.