Testing Trade-led-Growth Hypothesis for Romania
This paper tests the relationship between trade and economic growth for the case of Romania, during 1998-2004. We employed cointegration and Granger-causality tests on stochastic systems composed of exports, imports and GDP. In order to have some degree of significance, we performed our tests on quarterly data. We found that exports do not Granger-cause GDP in the Romania’s case, while the inverse relationship holds. The presence of imports in the stochastic models does not affect significantly the results. For validating our results, we performed the same tests on the 10 countries that entered EU on 1 May 2005, Bulgaria and EU with 15 members and EU with 25 members. We found that only in few cases – Czech Republic, EU 15 and Bulgaria, export-led-growth hypothesis is verified. Bi-directional causality found for exports and output in the case of Czech Republic and EU 15 is implying a virtuous circle of growth and exports, case that should be desirable for all the countries from the sample. The analyzed countries have situations which differ from case to case and a unified framework can not be applying for a generalization of the results.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992.
"Is the Export-led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
3112, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992. "Is the Export-Led.Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 678-88, November.
- Marin, Dalia, 1990. "Is the Export-Led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," CEPR Discussion Papers 362, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tyler, William G., 1981. "Growth and export expansion in developing countries : Some empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 121-130, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.