What International Accounting Standards (IAS) bring about to the financial statements of Greek Listed Companies? The case of the Athens Stock Exchange
The aim of the present study is to investigate the repercussions of the accounting changeover from the Greek Accounting Standards (GAS) to the International Accounting Standards (IAS) in relation to the published financial statements of Greek listed companies for the year 2004. The results show that tangible assets, fixed assets, and total liabilities record significantly higher prices under the IAS. Furthermore, it was recorded that, in opposition to the net income after taxes, the book value appears to play a more significant role under the IAS, compared to that under the GAS. There is also evidence that the adjustments of GAS to net income improve incremental value relevance, while the adjustments of GAS to book value do not improve it.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Spoudai: Journal of Economics and Business 57.3(2007): pp. 54-77|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garrido, Pascual & Leon, Angel & Zorio, Ana, 2002. "Measurement of formal harmonization progress:: The IASC experience," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-26.
- Murphy, Ann B., 1999. "Firm Characteristics of Swiss Companies that Utilize International Accounting Standards," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 121-131.
- Sami, Heibatollah & Zhou, Haiyan, 2004. "A comparison of value relevance of accounting information in different segments of the Chinese stock market," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 403-427.
- Harris, Mary S. & Muller III, Karl A., 1999. "The market valuation of IAS versus US-GAAP accounting measures using Form 20-F reconciliations1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 285-312, January.
- Asheq Rahman & Hector Perera & Siva Ganesh, 2002. "Accounting Practice Harmony, Accounting Regulation and Firm Characteristics," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(1), pages 46-77.
- Street, Donna L. & Gray, Sidney J. & Bryant, Stephanie M., 1999. "Acceptance and Observance of International Accounting Standards: An Empirical Study of Companies Claiming to Comply with IASs," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 11-48.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.