The impact of foreign interest rate on the macroeconomic performance of Turkey
In this study, we examine the effects of a shock in foreign interest rate on the macroeconomic performance of Turkey. We use two different structural vector autoregression models (SVAR) and specify them differently for the pre and post 2001:6 period. Based on the results of the SVAR models we conclude that, for the period before 2001:6 a positive foreign interest rate shock appreciates the real exchange rate, decreases the inflation rate, the domestic interest rate and the income. This last effect occurs when the domestic interest rates are excluded from the model, but when they are included the effect on income is positive. After 2001:6, we find that the real exchange rate depreciates, the income decreases, the inflation rate, and the domestic interest rate increases; although this last effect is very small.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1994.
"Error Bands for Impulse Responses,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1085, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2000. "Exchange rate anomalies in the industrial countries: A solution with a structural VAR approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 561-586, June.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 1995.
"The international transmission of economic fluctuations: effects of U. S. business cycles on the Canadian economy,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-6, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie, 1998. "The international transmission of economic fluctuations:: Effects of U.S. business cycles on the Canadian economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 257-287, April.
- Hakan Berument & Zubeyir Kilinc, 2004. "The effect of foreign income on economic performance of a small-open economy: evidence from Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(8), pages 483-488.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.