Technology, investment and trade: empirical evidence for five Asia-Pacific countries
Traditional models of international trade flows find that prices explain significant growth in export market shares. In the new international trade theory non-price factors are seen to be of great importance for the explanation of trade. Following Magnier and Toujas-Bernate (1994), this study introduces non-price factors, namely gross fixed investment and technology (number of patents accepted), into the export market share equation. Empirical estimation is carried out on five Asia-Pacific countries for the period 1978 to 1993. Results are similar to those of Magnier and Toujas-Bernate (1994) for the OECD, which show that non-price factors have played an important role in determining export market share during the last decade.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Economics Letters 6.6(1999): pp. 361-363|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Fagerberg, 1988.
Working Papers Archives
1988001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antoine Magnier & Joël Toujas-Bernate, 1994. "Technology and trade: Empirical evidences for the major five industrialized countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 494-520, September.
- Bart Verspagen & Katharine Wakelin, 1997. "Trade and Technology from a Schumpeterian Perspective," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 181-194.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 707-722.
- Krugman, Paul, 1983. "New Theories of Trade among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 343-47, May.
- M. Landesmann & M. Pfaffermayr, 1997. "Technological competition and trade performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 179-196.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conlon, R M, 1992. "Determinants of Manufacturing Industry Exports: A Comparative Study of Australia, Republic of Korea, Singapore and Taiwan," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(59), pages 427-42, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.