Crossing Mountains: The Effect of Competition on the Laffer Curve
Regarding states and state-like entities as producers and taxation as a price, this paper connects the thoroughly studied impacts of the market structures in microeconomics to the controversial Laffer curve, suggesting that the outcome of the “taxation market” depends also on competition. By studying the determinants for Property Tax revenue for the 308 Portuguese municipalities, a general model that successfully explains tax revenue is developed. Evidence is found for the existence of a two-peaked Laffer curve in the sample, and various tests indicate that competition impacts – shifting but also changing – the Laffer curve, causing more competitive municipalities to maximize revenue at lower tax rates – i.e. lower prices - than those in a more monopolistic setting.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trabandt, Mathias & Uhlig, Harald, 2011.
"The Laffer curve revisited,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 305-327.
- Mathias Trabandt & Harald Uhlig, 2006. "How Far Are We From The Slippery Slope? The Laffer Curve Revisited," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Feige, Edgar L & McGee, Robert T, 1983.
" Sweden's Laffer Curve: Taxation and the Unobserved Economy,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 499-519.
- Edgar L. Feige & Robert T. McGee, 2005. "Sweden'S Laffer Curve: Taxation And The Unobserved Economy," Macroeconomics 0501023, EconWPA.
- Feige, Edgar L. & McGee, Robert T., 1983. "Sweden’s Laffer Curve: Taxation and the Unobserved Economy," Working Paper Series 95, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mathias Trabandt & Harald Uhlig, 2012.
"How Do Laffer Curves Differ Across Countries?,"
2012-001, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Mathias Trabandt & Harald Uhlig, 2012. "How Do Laffer Curves Differ Across Countries?," NBER Working Papers 17862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Trabandt & Harald Uhlig, 2012. "How do Laffer curves differ across countries?," International Finance Discussion Papers 1048, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Henrik Hammar & Sverker C. Jagers & Katarina Nordblom, 2008. "Attitudes towards Tax Levels: A Multi-Tax Comparison," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(4), pages 523-543, December.
- José da Silva Costa & Armindo Cravalho, 2013. "Yardstick Competition among Portuguese Municipalities: The Case of Urban Property Tax (IMI)," FEP Working Papers 495, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:523. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.