Estimating Poverty in Pakistan The Non-food Consumption Share Approach
This paper provides a framework within which the sectoral structure of absolute poverty can be analysed. Non-food consumption share approach is used to measure incidence of poverty, which can also be used as a proxy for family welfare. Headcount index is used to examine the structure of poverty by principal sectors of employment. Location index is also presented to evaluate the concentration of the poor in each sector. The results lead to the conclusions that incidence of poverty has increased at all levels and that it is greater in rural areas than in urban areas. There are wide variations in the incidence of poverty among different sectors and it has increased in almost all the sectors except the finance and trade sectors during the period under consideration. The agriculture and construction sectors are found to be badly affected areas. According to the distribution of the poor criterion, the agriculture sector is at the top, followed by the manufacturing, trade, and community and social services sectors. Finally, location index also indicates that the majority of the poor in Pakistan is in the agriculture sector.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. M. Arif & Syed Mubashir Ali & Zafar Mueen Nasir & Nabeela Arshad, 2001.
"An Introduction to the 1998-99 Pakistan Socioeconomic Survey (PSES),"
MIMAP Technical Paper Series
2001:04, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- G. M., Arif & Syed, Mubashir Ali & Nasir, Zafar Mueen & Arshad, Nabeela, 2001. "An introduction to the 1998-99 Pakistan socioeconomic survey (PSES)," MPRA Paper 36499, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohammad, Irfan & Amjad, Rashid, 1994. "Poverty in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G. M. Arif & Hina Nazli & Rashida Haq, 2000. "Rural Non-agriculture Employment and Poverty in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 1089-1110.
- Sarfraz K. Qureshi & G. M. Arif, 2001. "Profile of Poverty in Pakistan, 1998-99," MIMAP Technical Paper Series 2001:05, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2001:183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.