Comparing GDP in Constant and in Chained Prices: Some New Results
This paper’s framework for GDP in chained prices yields GDP in constant prices as a special case of constant relative prices, i.e., these GDP measures differ only when relative prices change. The framework has a novel additive procedure, counter to the prevailing view that GDP in chained prices is non-additive. This procedure allows relative prices to change but when they are constant, components in chained and in constant prices are equal, implying consistency with the additivity of GDP in constant prices. Finally, GDP conversion from constant to chained prices removes the fixed base--by making the immediately preceding period the base, i.e., continuous updating--and allows relative prices to change and, thus, removes the base-period dependence and substitution bias of GDP in constant prices.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balk, Bert M., 2004. "Decompositions of Fisher indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 107-113, January.
- Jesus C. Dumagan, 2008. "Avoiding Anomalies of GDP in Constant Prices by Conversion to Chained Prices," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22632, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Whelan, Karl, 2002. "A Guide to U.S. Chain Aggregated NIPA Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 217-233, June.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2002. "Comparing the superlative Tornqvist and Fisher ideal indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 251-258, July.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2008. "Avoiding Anomalies of GDP in Constant Prices by Conversion to Chained Prices: Accentuating Shifts in Philippine Economic Transformation," Discussion Papers DP 2008-24, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2009-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.