Avoiding Anomalies of GDP in Constant Prices by Conversion to Chained Prices
Changing the base year (1985) of Philippine GDP in constant prices could change the growth rate and the shares of components even when there is no change in the volume of production, implying that the changes in growth rate and shares are anomalous (i.e., no real basis). This possibility weakens GDP in constant prices as basis for valuing our economys production and analyzing its growth performance. This paper demonstrates that conversion to chained prices avoids the above anomalies and also shows smaller and shrinking agriculture and industry sectors and enlarging services sector that is now over 50 percent of the Philippine economy than are shown by valuation in constant 1985 prices. In both contributions to level and growth of GDP, chained prices accentuate more than constant 1985 prices the declining importance of agriculture and industry and the rising importance of services in Philippine economic transformation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balk, Bert M., 2004. "Decompositions of Fisher indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 107-113, January.
- Whelan, Karl, 2002. "A Guide to U.S. Chain Aggregated NIPA Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 217-33, June.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Joe Robjohns, 2007. "Methods explained: Contributions to growth rates under annual chain-linking," Economic and Labour Market Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 1(6), pages 53-56, June.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2002. "Comparing the superlative Tornqvist and Fisher ideal indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 251-258, July.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- J. C. Dumagan & V. E. Ball, 2009. "Decomposing growth in revenues and costs into price, quantity and total factor productivity contributions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(23), pages 2943-2953.
- Domingo, Estrella V., 1992. "The Revised Philippine System of National Accounts," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1992 Vol. XIX No. 1-b, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.