Estimating bank default with generalised extreme value models
This paper considers the joint role of macroeconomic and bankspecific factors in explaining the occurrence of bank failures. As bank failures are, fortunately, rare, we apply a regression model, based on extreme value theory, that turns out to be more effective than classical logistic regression models. The application of this model to the occurrence of bank defaults in Italy shows that, while capital ratios considered by the regulatory requirements of Basel III are extremely significant to explain proper failures, macroeconomic conditions are relevant only when failures are defined also in terms of merger and acquisition. We also apply the joint beta regression model, in order to estimate the factors that most contribute to the bank capital ratios monitored by Basel III. Our results show that the Tier 1 capital ratio and the Total capital ratio are affected by similar variables, at the micro and macroeconomic level. An important outcome of this part of the analysis is that capital ratio variables can be taken as reasonable proxies of distress, at least as far as the effect sign of the determinants of failure risk is being considered.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia|
Web page: http://epmq.unipv.eu/site/home.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam B. Ashcraft, 2008.
"Are Bank Holding Companies a Source of Strength to Their Banking Subsidiaries?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 273-294, 03.
- Adam B. Ashcraft, 2004. "Are bank holding companies a source of strength to their banking subsidiaries?," Staff Reports 189, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paola Bongini & Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Ferri, 2001. "The Political Economy of Distress in East Asian Financial Institutions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 5-25, February.
- Bongini, Paola & Claessens, Stijn & Ferri, Giovanni, 2000. "The political economy of distress in East Asian financial institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2265, The World Bank.
- Arena, Marco, 2008. "Bank failures and bank fundamentals: A comparative analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the nineties using bank-level data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 299-310, February.
- Marco Arena, 2005. "Bank Failures and Bank Fundamentals: A Comparative Analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the Nineties using Bank-Level Data," Staff Working Papers 05-19, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pav:demwpp:035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.