Adjustment costs and the neutrality of income taxes
A true income tax would not affect asset values or investment decisions for given values of cash flows and pre-tax interest rates (Samuelson, 1964). However, most so-called income taxes do not fully tax capital gains on accrual. This note shows that in the absence of adjustment costs, investment decisions are not distorted by the lack of a comprehensive tax on the capital gains on unimproved land, provided that the depreciation of improvements is allowed as a tax deduction. It also provides the intuition underlying the closely related results of Hartman (1978) and Abel (1983).
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Jerry R & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1978.
"Optimal Capital-Gains Taxation under Limited Information,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1143-58, December.
- Green, Jerry & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1978. "Optimal Capital-Gains Taxation Under Limited Information," Scholarly Articles 3210340, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1983. "Tax Neutrality in the Presence of Adjustment Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(4), pages 705-712.
- Richard Hartman, 1978. "Investment Neutrality of Business Income Taxes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(2), pages 245-260.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2006-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.