Delegation to a potentially uninformed agent
We consider a delegation problem with a biased and potentially uninformed agent when the principal cannot use monetary payments. If the bias between the principal and the agent is large then the optimal delegation set is an interval. When the bias is small or medium the optimal delegation set is no longer connected. It can be one of two types: 1) with an interval and low option, 2) with two intervals. In all cases the agent has less discretion. However, in the case of medium bias the principal delegates in a wider range than in the case of an informed agent
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (613) 562-5753
Fax: (613) 562-5999
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/eco/eng/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nahum D. Melumad & Toshiyuki Shibano, 1991. "Communication in Settings with No. Transfers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(2), pages 173-198, Summer.
- Dezs� Szalay, 2005.
"The Economics of Clear Advice and Extreme Options,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1173-1198.
- Dezsö SZALAY, 2003. "The Economics of Clear Advice and Extreme Options," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 03.09, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Dezsoe Szalay, 2004. "The Economics of Clear Advice and Extreme Options," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 233, Econometric Society.
- Armstrong, M., 1994.
"Delegation and discretion,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9421, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Martimort, David & Semenov, Aggey, 2006. "Continuity in mechanism design without transfers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 182-189, November.
- Lewis Tracy R. & Sappington David E. M., 1993. "Ignorance in Agency Problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 169-183, October.
- Austen-Smith, David, 1994. "Strategic Transmission of Costly Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 955-63, July.
- Kovác, Eugen & Mylovanov, Tymofiy, 2009. "Stochastic mechanisms in settings without monetary transfers: The regular case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(4), pages 1373-1395, July.
- Ricardo Alonso & Niko Matouschek, 2008.
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 259-293.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ott:wpaper:1215e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Ritchot)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.