Another Look at the Francophone Wage Gap in Canada:Public vs Private Sector, Quebec vs Outside Quebec
Using a variant of the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition method, I find no evidence that, outside Quebec, there was at any point in time between 1970 and 2000, a labour market advantage for Anglophones that cannot be explained by a higher relative demand for English skills, whether in the public sector or the private sector. However, I find that in Quebec’s public sector, between 1970 and 2000, Francophones enjoyed a wage premium that may have gone beyond language skill considerations and that I cannot explain. Such a premium also appears to have been present in Quebec’s private sector in 2000.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (613) 562-5753
Fax: (613) 562-5999
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/eco/eng/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mueller, Richard E., 1998. "Public-private sector wage differentials in Canada: evidence from quantile regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-235, August.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Morley Gunderson, 1979. "Earnings Differentials between the Public and Private Sectors," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(2), pages 228-42, May.
- Francois Vaillancourt & Dominique Lemay & Luc Vaillancourt, 2007. "Laggards No More: The Changed Socioeconomic Status of Francophones in Quebec," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 103, August.
- Grenier, G, 1996. "Linguistic and Economic Characteristics of Francophone Minorities in Canada: A Comparison of Ontario and New Brunswick," Working Papers 96010e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Charles F. Manski, 1989. "Anatomy of the Selection Problem," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(3), pages 343-360.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ott:wpaper:0912e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Ritchot)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.