The Effect of Partial Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain
In many supply chains, the variance of orders may be considerably larger than that of sales, and this distortion tends to increase as one moves up a supply chain, this is known as "Bullwhip Effect". The Bullwhip phenomenon has recognized in many diverse markets. Procter & Gamble found that the diaper orders issued by the distributors have a degree of variability that cannot be explained by consumer demand fluctuations (Lee, Padamanabhan and Wang 1997a). Lee, Padamanabhan and Wang (1997a, b) developed a framework for explaining this phenomenon. Lee, So, and Tang (2000) showed that, within the context of a two-level supply chain consisting of single manufacturer and single retailer with AR(1) end demand, the manufacturer would benefit when the retailer shared its demand information. This paper considers the eRect of partial information sharing, within the framework of Lee, So and Tang, in one manufacturer and n retailers model, focusing on the variance of the manufacturer's "demand" (the retailers' order quantity).
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Disney, S. M. & Towill, D. R., 2003. "The effect of vendor managed inventory (VMI) dynamics on the Bullwhip Effect in supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 199-215, August.
- Stefansson, Gunnar, 2002. "Business-to-business data sharing: A source for integration of supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 135-146, January.
- Hau L. Lee & Kut C. So & Christopher S. Tang, 2000. "The Value of Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 626-643, May.
- Raghunathan, Srinivasan, 2003. "Impact of demand correlation on the value of and incentives for information sharing in a supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 634-649, May.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.