Conditioning and Aggregation of Preferences
This paper contains a formulation of conditional preferences and their aggregation across states of nature and time that is consistent with, but does not imply, an expected utility representation of preferences, state-independence, or consequentialism. Under weak consistency conditions, the conditional utility of an act given certain information is related to the conditional utility of the same act given some coarser information through a (not necessarily additive) map, called an "aggregator." Sufficient conditions for additive aggregation are developed, based on standard theory of additive conjoint measurement. In an temporal setting, a "tie-coherence" axiom links conditional utilities and aggregators across time, providing the foundation for various forms of recursive utility. The general theory of conditioning and aggregation of preferences is applied to derive additive and recursive utility representations of preferences for information. The associated concept of information affinity (or aversion) is defined and related to recursive utility.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karni, Edi & Schmeidler, David, 1991. "Utility theory with uncertainty," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 33, pages 1763-1831 Elsevier.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Ehud Lehrer, 1989.
"The Value of Information -- An Axiomatic Approach,"
835, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert, 1986. "Disappointment and Dynamic Consistency in Choice under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 271-82, April.
- Berliant, Marcus C, 1986. "A Utility Representation for a Preference Relation on a s-Algebra," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 359-62, March.
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Wakker, Peter, 1993. "From local to global additive representation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 523-545.
- David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7662, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- Kreps, David M, 1979. "A Representation Theorem for "Preference for Flexibility"," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 565-77, May.
- Allen, Beth, 1983. "Neighboring information and distributions of agents' characteristics under uncertainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 63-101, September.
- Karni, Edi, 1993. "A Definition of Subjective Probabilities with State-Dependent Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 187-98, January.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1989. "Consistent Plans, Consequentialism, and Expected Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1445-49, November.
- Cotter, Kevin D., 1986. "Similarity of information and behavior with a pointwise convergence topology," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-38, February.
- David M Kreps & Evan L Porteus, 1978.
"Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
625018000000000009, David K. Levine.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1978. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 185-200, January.
- Machina, Mark J, 1989. "Dynamic Consistency and Non-expected Utility Models of Choice under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 1622-68, December.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. " Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Karni Edi, 1993. "Subjective Expected Utility Theory with State-Dependent Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 428-438, August.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Dekel, Eddie, 1986. "An axiomatic characterization of preferences under uncertainty: Weakening the independence axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 304-318, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:1010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.