Product market competition, external economies of scale and unionized wage
Although empirical evidence shows that higher product market competition increases unionized wage, the theoretical literature did not pay much attention to this aspect. We show that the positive relation between product market competition and unionized wage may occur in the presence of external economies of scale. In this respect, the labor productivity and the effects of the external economies of scale may play important roles.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Macpherson & James B. Stewart, 1990.
"The effect of international competition on union and nonunion wages,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(4), pages 434-446, April.
- David A. MacPherson & James B. Stewart, 1990. "The Effect of International Competition on Union and Nonunion Wages," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(4), pages 434-446, July.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, May.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, May.
- John M. Abowd & Joseph S. Tracy, 1988. "Market Structure, Strike Activity, and Union Wage Settlements," NBER Working Papers 2595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paulo Bastos & Udo Kreickemeier & Peter W. Wright, 2010. "Open-shop unions and product market competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(2), pages 640-662, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notecp:11/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.