NIMBY Taxes Matter: State Taxes and Interstate Hazardous Waste Shipments
This paper examines the extent to which state taxes have inhibited interstate transport of" hazardous waste for disposal in the United States. It uses panel data from the Toxics Release" Inventory (TRI) and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) on interstate" shipments of waste, and analyzes them in conjunction with a set of state characteristics hazardous waste disposal taxes and disposal capacity. It employs four approaches to deal with" the potential endogeneity of taxes and unobserved heterogeneity among states: a "natural" experiment fixed-effects model reinterpretation of the coefficient on the distance among" states. The paper concludes that hazardous waste taxes are a statistically and economically" significant deterrent to interstate waste transport, that taxes are being imposed by large-capacity" and large-import states, and that therefore these taxes have had a decentralizing effect on the" national pattern of hazardous waste transport and disposal.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1997|
|Publication status:||published as Arik Levinson. "NIMBY taxes matter: the case of state hazardous waste disposal taxes" Journal of Public Economics. Volume 74, Issue 1, October 1999, Pages 31-51|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sigman, Hilary, 1996. "The Effects of Hazardous Waste Taxes on Waste Generation and Disposal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 199-217, March.
- Randy A. Becker & J. Vernon Henderson, 2001.
"Costs of Air Quality Regulation,"
NBER Chapters,in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 159-186
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randy A. Becker & J. Vernon Henderson, 1999. "Costs of Air Quality Regulation," NBER Working Papers 7308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randy A Becker & Vernon Henderson, 1999. "Costs of Air Quality Regulation," Working Papers 99-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 2000. "Unnatural Experiments? Estimating the Incidence of Endogenous Policies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(467), pages 672-694, November.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1994. "Unnatural Experiments? Estimating the Incidence of Endogenous Policies," NBER Working Papers 4956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Honore, Bo E, 1992. "Trimmed LAD and Least Squares Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 533-565, May.
- Peltzman, Sam & Tideman, T Nicolaus, 1972. "Local versus National Pollution Control: Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 959-963, December.
- Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M., 1988. "Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 333-354, April.
- Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy, 1995. "Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Schultz, T Paul, 1982. "Lifetime Migration within Educational Strata in Venezuela: Estimates of a Logistic Model," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(3), pages 559-593, April.
- Revesz, Richard L. & Stavins, Robert N., 2007. "Environmental Law," Handbook of Law and Economics, Elsevier.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Stein, Jerome L, 1971. "The 1971 Report of the President's Council of Economic Advisers: Micro-Economic Aspects of Public Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 531-537, September.
- Mitchell, Robert Cameron & Carson, Richard T, 1986. "Property Rights, Protest, and the Siting of Hazardous Waste Facilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 285-290, May.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-299, May.
- James J. Heckman & Thomas E. Macurdy, 1980. "A Life Cycle Model of Female Labour Supply," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 47-74. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)