NIMBY Taxes Matter: State Taxes and Interstate Hazardous Waste Shipments
This paper examines the extent to which state taxes have inhibited interstate transport of" hazardous waste for disposal in the United States. It uses panel data from the Toxics Release" Inventory (TRI) and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) on interstate" shipments of waste, and analyzes them in conjunction with a set of state characteristics hazardous waste disposal taxes and disposal capacity. It employs four approaches to deal with" the potential endogeneity of taxes and unobserved heterogeneity among states: a "natural" experiment fixed-effects model reinterpretation of the coefficient on the distance among" states. The paper concludes that hazardous waste taxes are a statistically and economically" significant deterrent to interstate waste transport, that taxes are being imposed by large-capacity" and large-import states, and that therefore these taxes have had a decentralizing effect on the" national pattern of hazardous waste transport and disposal.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Arik Levinson. "NIMBY taxes matter: the case of state hazardous waste disposal taxes" Journal of Public Economics. Volume 74, Issue 1, October 1999, Pages 31-51|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy, 1995. "Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Revesz, Richard L. & Stavins, Robert N., 2007. "Environmental Law," Handbook of Law and Economics, Elsevier.
- Schultz, T Paul, 1982. "Lifetime Migration within Educational Strata in Venezuela: Estimates of a Logistic Model," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(3), pages 559-93, April.
- Heckman, James J & Macurdy, Thomas E, 1980. "A Life Cycle Model of Female Labour Supply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 47-74, January.
- Mitchell, Robert Cameron & Carson, Richard T, 1986. "Property Rights, Protest, and the Siting of Hazardous Waste Facilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 285-90, May.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1994.
"Unnatural Experiments? Estimating the Incidence of Endogenous Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
4956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 2000. "Unnatural Experiments? Estimating the Incidence of Endogenous Policies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(467), pages F672-94, November.
- Randy A. Becker & J. Vernon Henderson, 2001.
"Costs of Air Quality Regulation,"
in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 159-186
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Honore, Bo E, 1992. "Trimmed LAD and Least Squares Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 533-65, May.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Stein, Jerome L, 1971. "The 1971 Report of the President's Council of Economic Advisers: Micro-Economic Aspects of Public Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 531-37, September.
- Sigman, Hilary, 1996. "The Effects of Hazardous Waste Taxes on Waste Generation and Disposal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 199-217, March.
- Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M., 1988. "Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 333-354, April.
- Peltzman, Sam & Tideman, T Nicolaus, 1972. "Local versus National Pollution Control: Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 959-63, December.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-99, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.