Debt Usage and Mortgage Choice: Sensitivity to Default Insurance Costs
Purchase of a house requires three interrelated household financial decisions: what level of debt to obtain, whether to select an adjustable or fixed rate mortgage (ARM or FRM) and whether to choose an FHA or a conventional loan. While some have analyzed the mortgage debt decision and the ARM/FRM choice, virtually no one has studied the FHA/conventional mortgage choice or the interrelation among the mortgage debt and instrument decisions. In our sample of 819 young home purchasers, debt and mortgage choice is driven by a need to finesse the downpayment and payment constraint ratios and to lower mortgage insurance costs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Urban Economics, Vol. 41 (1997): 202-217.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Follain, James R. & Ling, David C., 1991. "The Federal Tax Subsidy to Housing and the Reduced Value of the Mortgage Interest Deduction," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 44(2), pages 147-68, June.
- Capone, Charles A, Jr & Cunningham, Donald F, 1992. "Estimating the Marginal Contribution of Adjustable-Rate Mortgage Selection to Termination Probabilities in a Nested Model," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 333-56, December.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Follain, James R, 1988. "The Rise and Fall of the ARM: An Econometric Analysis of Mortgage Choice," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Jones Lawrence D., 1993. "The Demand for Home Mortgage Debt," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 10-28, January.
- Peter Linneman & Susan Wachter, 1989. "The Impacts of Borrowing Constraints on Homeownership," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 389-402.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.