Evaluating the Interest-Rate Risk of Adjustable-Rate Mortgage Loans
This paper evaluates the interest-rate risk inherent in an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) with sporadic rate adjustments and possibly binding periodic and life-of-loan rate change constraints. Simulation analysis forecasts ARM cash flows, determines the probability that constraints will hold, and partitions the loan into fixed and variable components. Simulation parameters are then altered to measure the impact of changes in contract terms and market conditions on the interest-rate risk of a typical ARM loan. Interest-rate sensitivity is found to be significantly less than that of fixed-rate loans and remarkably insensitive to changes in loan margins or initial loan rates after the first few years of an ARM's life. Therefore, it is not surprising that lenders have used these features to lure borrowers to ARMs. Periodic rate change limits and volatility in the underlying index are the only factors that influence the interest-rate risk of an existing ARM in a substantive way.
Volume (Year): 13 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen A. Buser & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1985. "Pricing Life-of-Loan Rate Caps on Default-Free Adjustable-Rate Mortgages," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 248-260.
- Cunningham, Donald F & Capone, Charles A, Jr, 1990. " The Relative Termination Experience of Adjustable to Fixed-Rate Mortgages," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1687-1703, December.
- James B. Kau & Donald C. Keenan & Walter J. Muller & James F. Epperson, 1990. "The Valuation and Analysis of Adjustable Rate Mortgages," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1417-1431, December.
- Capone, Charles A, Jr & Cunningham, Donald F, 1992. "Estimating the Marginal Contribution of Adjustable-Rate Mortgage Selection to Termination Probabilities in a Nested Model," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 333-56, December.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Haensly, Paul J & Springer, Thomas M & Waller, Neil G, 1993. "Duration and the Price Behavior of Fixed-Rate Level Payment Mortgages: An Analytical Investigation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 157-66, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Tucker, Michael, 1991. "Comparing Present Value Cost Differentials between Fixed- and Adjustable-Rate Loans: A Mortgage Simulation," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 447-58, August.
- Gary A. Anderson & Joel R. Barber & Chun-Hao Chang, 1993. "Prepayment Risk And The Duration Of Default-Free Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, 03.
- Houston, Joel F & Sa-Aadu, J & Shilling, James D, 1991. "Teaser Rates in Conventional Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM) Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 19-31, March.
- Heuson, Andrea Jane, 1989. "Institutional Disparities in the Pricing of Adjustable Rate Mortgage Loans," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 31-45, February.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Follain, James R, 1988. "The Rise and Fall of the ARM: An Econometric Analysis of Mortgage Choice," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Dhillon, Upinder S & Shilling, James D & Sirmans, C F, 1987. "Choosing between Fixed and Adjustable Rate Mortgages: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 260-67, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:13:n:1:1997:p:77-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.