Hyperinflation with Currency Substitution: Introducing an Indexed Currency
Currency substitution (CS) and financial adaptation are in general believed to increase the equilibrium rate of inflation. This result derives from a setup in which the government finances a certain amount of real resources through money printing and where CS reduces the base of the inflation tax. This paper shows this intuition wrong for those situations where the hyperinflation is expectations-driven. Incorporating CS in an Obstfeld-Rogoff (1983) framework I show reduces the inflation rates along the hyperinflationary equilibrium. The intuition is simple: if agents have an easy way of substituting away from domestic currency then the required inflation rates to sustain a path where real balances disappears is necessarily lower. The implications of the model are then tested empirically.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, August 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Jose De Gregorio, 1991.
"Welfare Costs of Inflation, Seigniorage, and Financial innovation,"
IMF Working Papers
91/1, International Monetary Fund.
- JosÃ© De Gregorio, 1991. "Welfare Costs of Inflation, Seigniorage, and Financial Innovation," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 675-704, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Reynoso, Alejandro, 1989.
"Financial Factors in Economic Development,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 204-09, May.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1980. "Market Fundamentals versus Price-Level Bubbles: The First Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 745-70, August.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1981. "Monetary Expansion and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1218-27, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.