How Far Is Too Far? New Evidence on Abortion Clinic Closures, Access, and Abortions
We estimate the effects of abortion clinic closures on clinic access and on abortions using variation generated by Texas HB2, a "TRAP" law that shuttered nearly half of Texas' abortion clinics in late 2013. After demonstrating that pre-existing trends in abortion rates were unrelated to the changes in access caused by HB2, we implement a difference-in-differences research design to identify the effects of abortion access. Our results suggest a substantial and non-linear effect of distance to clinics. Increases from less than 50 miles to 50-100, 100-150, and 150-200 miles reduce abortion rates by 13, 24, and 40 percent, respectively, while additional increases in distance appear to have no additional effect. We also introduce a proxy for congestion that predicts additional reductions in abortion rates as fewer clinics serve more women.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2017|
|Note:||CH HC HE LE PE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth Oltmans Ananat & Jonathan Gruber & Phillip Levine, 2007.
"Abortion Legalization and Life-Cycle Fertility,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(2).
- Elizabeth Oltmans Ananat & Jonathan Gruber & Phillip B. Levine, 2004. "Abortion Legalization and Lifecycle Fertility," NBER Working Papers 10705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joanna Lahey, 2014. "The Effect of Anti-Abortion Legislation on Nineteenth Century Fertility," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(3), pages 939-948, June.
- Robert Picard, 2010. "GEONEAR: Stata module to find nearest neighbors using geodetic distances," Statistical Software Components S457146, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 22 Feb 2012.
- Joyce, Ted & Tan, Ruoding & Zhang, Yuxiu, 2013. "Abortion before & after Roe," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 804-815.
- Yao Lu & David J. G. Slusky, 2016. "The Impact of Women's Health Clinic Closures on Preventive Care," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 100-124, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:23366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.