Import Competition and Macro Economic Adjustment under Wage-Price Rigidity
The paper analyzes the problem of short-term adjustment to a fall in the price of competing imports when thee is wage and price rigidity. This is done in terms of a two-sector model which incorporates a domestically producible import good and a semi-tradeable home good. The effect of a fall in import prices on domestic employment, prices and the balance of payments under nominal or real wage rigidity is analyzed in the various market disequilibrium regimes. The possible responses in terms of demand management and exchange rate (or tariff) policy as well as supply management are analyzed. The theory is then applied to the stagflationary environment of the 1970s within a modified framework in which the price of imported raw materials has simultaneously risen. This helps to show how the above adjustment problem crucially depends on the nature of the underlying macroeconomic environment.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1980|
|Publication status:||published as Bruno, Michael. "Import Competition and Macro Economic Adjustment under Wage-Price Rigidity." Import Competition and Response, edited by Jagdish N. Bhagwati, pp. 11-37. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1982.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary, 1980. "Nontraded Goods and the Balance of Trade in a Neo-Keynesian Temporary Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 403-429.
- Bruno, Michael, 1976. "The Two-Sector Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 566-577, September.
- Brecher, Richard A, 1978. "Money, Employment, and Trade-Balance Adjustment with Rigid Wages," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1976. "Macroeconomic Policy in a Model of International Trade with a Wage Restriction," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 262-277, June.
- Hanoch, Giora & Fraenkel, Mordechai, 1979. "Income and Substitution Effects in the Two-Sector Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 455-458, June.
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.