The Role of Country Size and Returns to Scale in Empirical Assessments of Economic Integration: The Case of Spain
Empirical assessments of trade policy in single-country models have addressed extensively the assumption of increasing returns to scale versus constant returns to scale, but the alternative assumption of small open economy versus large open economy has not received much attention. This paper provides an evaluation of the relevance of both assumptions (i. e., returns to scale and country size) when analyzing a process of economic integration for a medium-size economy. We conclude that the often neglected country-size assumption might be more relevant for the empirical results than returns to scale.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)|
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Allen & Michael Gasiorek & Alasdair Smith, 1998. "The competition effects of the Single Market in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 439-486, October.
- Francois, Joseph, 1998. "Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 317, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Kemal Dervis & Jaime de Melo & Sherman Robinson, 2015.
"A General Equilibrium Analysis Of Foreign Exchange Shortages In A Developing Economy,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Modeling Developing Countries' Policies in General Equilibrium, chapter 4, pages 71-86
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Dervis, Kemal & de Melo, Jaime & Robinson, Sherman, 1981. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Foreign Exchange Shortages in a Developing Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 891-906, December.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Ballard, Charles L & Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1985. "General Equilibrium Computations of the Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxes in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 128-138, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.