The Global Financial Crisis and Development: Implications for the Entrepreneurial Economy
This paper provides an evaluation of the state of global development two years after the global financial crisis of 2008. It argues that in the wake of the crisis a number of re‐assessments of global development has taken place, especially with respect to (i) the surprising origins of the crisis, (ii) the surprising resilience of the developing world, and (iii) the shortcomings of the global financial architecture (GFA). Despite these re‐assessments, progress in dealing with the deep causes of the crisis has been slow, and there are strong vested interests against reform of the GFA due to the incentives that many years of deregulation and regulatory capture has created. These incentives influences entrepreneurial and managerial behaviour in ways that may frustrate reform and re‐regulation and leave global development vulnerable to further financial (and other) crises. The paper draws out some implications for the entrepreneurial economy.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 1203, 6201 BE Maastricht|
Phone: +31 43 387 08 08
Fax: +31 43 387 08 00
Web page: http://research.msm.nl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naude, Wim & MacGee, James, 2009. "Wealth Distribution, the Financial Crisis and Entrepreneurship," WIDER Working Papers WIDER Angle newsletter Ma, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship, Frictions, and Wealth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(5), pages 835-870, October.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2003. "Entrepreneurship, frictions, and wealth," Staff Report 322, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, frictions, and wealth," Working Paper Series WP-05-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2003. "Entrepreneurship, frictions and wealth," Working Papers 620, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:09002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gries Thomas & Naude Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis," Entrepreneurship Research Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-43, July.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis," WIDER Working Paper Series 057, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Jeffrey J. Schott, 2009. "Buy American: Bad for Jobs, Worse for Reputation," Policy Briefs PB09-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jörg Mayer, 2010. "Global Rebalancing: Effects On Trade Flows And Employment," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 200, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Audretsch, David B. & Sanders, Mark, 2009. "Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Development," MERIT Working Papers 052, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bezemer, D.J., 2009. "No one saw this coming. Understanding financial crisis through accounting models," Research Report 09002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises; A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi & Naude, Wim, 2009. "The Global Economic Crisis: Towards Syndrome-Free Recovery for Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series WIDER Discussion Paper 20, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wim Naude & Adam Szirmai & Micheline Goedhuys, 2011. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries," Working Papers id:4460, eSocialSciences.
- Wim Naudé & Adam Szirmai & Micheline Goedhuys, 2011. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries," WIDER Working Papers UNU-WIDER Policy Brief Pb, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Backus & Patrick Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1992. "Web interface for "Dynamics of the Trade Balance and the Terms of Trade: The J-Curve?"," QM&RBC Codes 5a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Ihrig, Jane & Moe, Karine S., 2004. "Lurking in the shadows: the informal sector and government policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 541-557, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msm:wpaper:2011/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.