Current And Capital Account Interdependence: An Empirical Test
This study uses two alternative specifications to test the interdependence between the current and capital accounts of the balance of payments. The empirical specifications, derived from the balance of payments constraint and from national income accounting relationships, respectively, yield consistent support for the interdependence hypothesis. The balance of payments specification returns positive findings for nine of the ten sample countries. These are corroborated by the general equilibrium specification in three instances. Neglect of the comprehensive lag structure of the underlying model may account for the relatively weak support from the general equilibrium specification of the interdependence hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Dietrich K. Fausten & Brett Pickett, 2004. "'Errors & Omissions' in the Reporting of Australia's Cross-Border Transactions," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 101-115, 03.
- Chorng-Huey Wong & Luis Carranza, 1999.
"Policy Responses to External Imbalances in Emerging Market Economies: Further Empirical Results,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(2), pages 5.
- Luis Carranza & Chorng-Huey Wong, 1998. "Policy Responses to External Imbalances in Emerging Market Economies; Further Empirical Results," IMF Working Papers 98/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Dietrich K. Fausten, 1990. "Current and Capital Account Interdependence," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(2), pages 273-292, January.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2006. "The influences of economic openness on Japan's balancing item: an empirical note," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 7-10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2008-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.