A model specification test for GARCH(1,1) processes
We provide a consistent specification test for GARCH(1,1) models based on a test statistic of Cramér-von Mises type. Since the limit distribution of the test statistic under the null hypothesis depends on unknown quantities in a complicated manner, we propose a model-based (semiparametric)bootstrap method to approximate critical values of the test and verify its asymptotic validity. Finally, we illuminate the finite sample behavior of the test by some simulations.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 621 181 1776
Fax: +49 621 181 1774
Web page: http://www2.vwl.uni-mannheim.de/10.1.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristensen, Dennis & Linton, Oliver, 2006. "A Closed-Form Estimator For The Garch(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 323-337, April.
- Tinkl, Fabian, 2013. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in generalized polynomial autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 03/2013, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006.
"Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Linear and Nonlinear Time Series Models,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 531-541, June.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit Tests for Linear and Non-linear Time Series Models," Faculty Working Papers 02/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Dehling, H. & Mikosch, T., 1994. "Random Quadratic Forms and the Bootstrap for U-Statistics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 392-413, November.
- Sentana, Enrique, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 639-61, October.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2007. "Joint and Marginal Diagnostic Tests for Conditional Mean and Variance Specifications," Caepr Working Papers 2007-009, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2004. "Model Checks Using Residual Marked Empirical Processes," Faculty Working Papers 13/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Leucht, Anne & Neumann, Michael H., 2013. "Dependent wild bootstrap for degenerate U- and V-statistics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 257-280.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Carlos Escanciano, J., 2008. "Joint and marginal specification tests for conditional mean and variance models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 74-87, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mnh:wpaper:35107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katharina Rautenberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.